I'm that Mom. You know the one. She has the toddler that's screaming at the top of her lungs and trying to hit her from her seat in the grocery cart. The reason for the tantrum isn't important. My girl gets going and the only thing that will fix it is having a good scream. SO, I tried to keep calm and proceeded to the check out keeping my second born out of the line of fire, knowing she was going to keep throwing a fit until we got home. I am so fine with other people's kids screaming. It's natural and normal and doesn't bother me in the slightest. I taught preschool and it never got my heart rate up even once. BUT, when it's your kid..... so painful. Especially when your kid may have inherited your lung capacity and 1st soprano range. As I'm apologizing with my eyes to anyone who'll look my way I try to pay quickly and get ready to run. Before I know it a middle aged woman walks right up to Marigold and says, "Are you having a tough time? Sometimes I have a tough time too. " She proceeds to talk to Marigold, who I'm sure is going to yell at her any second, and effectively stops the tantrum and gets her to be -gasp!- calm. When I'm finished paying I look up and the woman is already gone. I thank the cashier and ask him to thank her for me if he sees her. Marigold was asleep 30 seconds after we got home. I will plan better around her crazy 2 1/2 year old sleepy brain and if I ever see that woman again I will hug her... with feeling. People can be so kind. It makes me cry.
Real life angel.
Real life angel.

No comments:
Post a Comment